PIFRA Pilot Site AGPR Islamabad:
Introduction | SAP Financial (FI) | SAP Human Resources (HR) | Application Software (SAP) | Reputation
Products | SAP Implementation in AGPR |
Main Functions of FI | HR Section | Coordination Section/System Administration | Organization Chart PIFRA Wing in AGPR
The legacy accounting system being followed in the accounts offices was based on accounting policies & procedures which are not in line with international standards. The legacy system in the changed environment has shown significant inadequacies in meeting the national and international requirements of fiscal reporting. Frequently timely, accurate and comprehensive information was not available. To meet the international standards of reporting the Government launched the Project to Improve Financial Reporting and Auditing (PIFRA) in all the accounting offices.
Office of the Accountant General Pakistan Revenues (AGPR) is one of the first and most important Pilot sites of the project. The site was inaugurated on 20th January, 2003 by Mr.Muhammad Younis Khan, Auditor General of Pakistan.
Changing the legacy system to a new system was a gigantic task requiring extra effort by the Officers and staff at this site. This office has to not only change the computerized system but also prepare its staff for this major change in their working. Extensive training sessions were conducted for staff . In addition to this the resources from this office also trained thousands of Federal DDOs. This activity is still going on.
For implementation PIFRA, the computerized software SAP is being used which is the world’s leading ERP. Two main areas in which the activities relating to SAP are divided are:
- HR-(Human Resources)
SAP Financial (FI)
- Comments and Payments
- General Ledger Adjustments
- Aggregation and Reporting
- Fixed Assets
- Cash Forecasting
- Development Projects
SAP Human Resource (HR)
- Pay Roll
- General Provident Fund
- Staff Expenses
Application Software (SAP)
Financial Management & Human Resources
SAP is the biggest European software company headquartered in Walldorf, Germany. SAP was founded in 1972 as Systemanalyse und Programmentwicklung by five former IBM employees in Manheim, Germany. The acronym was later changed to mean Systeme, Anwendungen und Produkte in der Datenverarbeitung ("Systems, Applications And Products in Data Processing") but since the Annual General Meeting of 2005, the company's official name is just SAP AG.
Although not exactly a household name, SAP is the fourth-largest software company in the world. It ranks after Microsoft, IBM and Oracle in terms of market capitalization. SAP is the largest company in terms of revenue(in 2004 the company earned revenue of 7,154,000,000 Euros) as per latest data, and the largest ERP solution software provider (also in terms of revenue).
SAP's products are in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) business sector. The company's main product is SAP R/3, where the "R" stands for real-time data processing, the number 3 relates to the three tier application architecture: database, application server and client - SAPgui is the desktop software for using SAP R/3. The predecessor to R/3 was R/2. Other major offerings include Advanced Planner and Optimizer (APO), Business Information Warehouse (BW), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Supplier Relationship Management (SRM), Human Resource Management Systems (HRMS), Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) and Knowledge Warehouse (KW). The company also offers a new technology platform, named SAP NetWeaver. While its original products are mostly used by larger companies, SAP is now also offering products for small and medium sized enterprises (SME) with SAP Business One and mySAP All-in-One.
More than 28,000 companies run SAP, at over 91,500 locations. SAP users number over 12 million people in more than 120 countries.
SAP Implementation in AGPR :
The sections in the office have been brought on the work flow. For processing of claims of different departments the claims are now processed through SAP and a computerized cheque is issued. In the legacy system there was no role of computer in payment processing till issuance of a manual cheque and the information for compilation of accounts was punched after issuance of cheque. After implementation of PIFRA and processing of claims through a computerized system the expenditure becomes part of accounts with generation of accounts. This has facilitated issuance of accurate and timely accounting information for stake holders. On the other hand the salary of about 55000 employees is being processed through SAP. In near future the General Provident Fund(GPF) and Pension payment will be processed through SAP.
Main Functions of FI:
- Punching of bills
- Account Preparation
- Accounts Compilation
- Proof Reading
- Transfer Entries
- Vendor Creation
- Vendor Updation
- Training of Officers / Officials in SAP
- Accounts Enquires
Computer Accounts Section:
- Proof reading
- Creation of new DDO’S
- Mapping of DDO’S
- Data Controlling of accounts
- Coordination with DDO’s
- Coordination with Pifra
- Opening of new head of accounts
- Receipt of Accounts from different sections/ Departments
- Special Work
- Deposit Section
- Book Section
- AC-I & AC-II
- Foreign Aid
- Colored Cheques
- Supreme Court
- Sharriate Court
- National Saving
- Sales Tax
- Income Tax
- National Assembly
- Custom Treasury
- Accounts Section local
- Counting of Vouchers (Cheque I &II)
- Numbering of Vouchers according to DL
- Cancellation of cheques
- Sorting of Exchange Accounts/ Vouchers
- Sorting of Zakat schedule for CF sections
- Monthly income tax deduction report
- Supplier and Contractors
- Salaries of Government servant
- Coordination with record room for vouchers
Computer Cell I & II:
1. Preparation of batches of change statement and sent to HR
2. Proof Reading of change statements(F-1 to FO-5)
3. Finalization of Proof
4. Prepare the Payroll & reports for disbursement to concerned DDO’s
5. Salary stop payment cases
6. Preparation of challan for stop payment
7. Passing forward the GP Fund Bills
8. Preparation of Bank advice & disbursement to concerned banks.
9. Distribution of Payroll and scale audit and schedule of recovery to GA & TA sections
1. Punching of all kinds of Change statement and correction of Proofs
2. Printing of payroll
3. Process of payroll with all kind of reports with concerned to payroll
4. Process and printing of annual GP Fund ledger
5. Printing of Monthly reports
7. Preparation of Computer budget Estimates.
8. Maintain the stock.
Coordination Section / System Administration:
- Preparation of budget estimates for Computer Wing
- Utilization of Computer Wing budget.
- Arrangement of computer stationery & entry in stock register.
- Processing of claims of suppliers.
- General correspondence
- Safe custody of hardware and other equipment.
- Repair/ maintenance of PIFRA/Legacy hardware and other equipment e.g. multimedia projector, Photocopier, copy printer, printers in office etc.
- Stock entry/ record of Hardware in stock register.
- System Administration
- Receipt of hardware and other equipment issued by MIS/PIFRA
Organizational Chart PIFRA wing in AGPR: